Teriyaki Chicken Don is another donburi dish – Teriyaki Chicken on Rice in a bowl. When the food is so delicious on its own and comes with flavoursome sauce like Teriyaki Chicken, you really don’t need to do anything other than place the food on hot cooked rice. But I added a couple of vegetables to it because the bright colours make the dish look more attractive.
The charred spring onions go so well with the sweet soy flavour of the teriyaki sauce.
Today’s recipe refers to the Teriyaki Chicken recipe to make a topping, so it’s a very short post. This recipe explains how to cook vegetables and serve them on a bowl of rice.
What’s in My Teriyaki chicken Don
- Hot cooked rice in a serving bowl
- Teriyaki Chicken ingredients with Teriyaki Sauce 50% more than required in the recipe
- Blanched snow peas
- Green onions cut into 5cm/2″ long pieces
You get some teriyaki sauce when making Teriyaki Chicken, but you will need more sauce to pour over the rice. You just need to prepare more quantity of the teriyaki sauce when making Teriyaki Chicken.
You don’t have to use snow peas and green onions. I happened to have them in the fridge and the colour of the vegetables compliments the dish. Blanched spinach and grilled/sauteed red and green capsicum can work too. If you like egg, you can place a poached egg on top.
How to Make Teriyaki Chicken Don
Since Teriyaki Chicken is a quick and easy dish to make and it uses just one frying pan, I did not want to use another frying pan or griller to char the green onions. Here is how to do that:
Follow the steps up to number 8 in the Teriyaki Chicken recipe card with the following variations:
- At step 4, add the green onion pieces to the frying pan after placing the chicken fillets in the pan (1st photo above).
- While cooking the chicken, cook the green onion pieces turning them over to get burnt in several places (2nd photo above).
- When the green onions are cooked, transfer them to a plate, before step 5 or 6.
- When condensing the sauce in step 7, reduce the sauce to about 3 tablespoons.
- Dribble some sauce on the rice in a bowl, then place the sliced chicken over the rice.
- Place the green onions and snow peas.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and green onions.
I blanched my snow peas in the microwave by wrapping them in cling wrap instead of boiling them in a pot – no washing! But of course, you can quickly blanch them in boiling in a pot of boiling water.
This is also a perfect dish for a bento box!
Teriyaki Chicken Don is a donburi dish - Teriyaki Chicken on Rice in a bowl. To make the dish look brightened and more attractive, I added a couple of vegetables. This recipe only explains how to cook vegetables and how to serve them on a bowl of rice. It refers to the Teriyaki Chicken recipe to make a topping.
Prep Time and Cook Time include the time required to cook Teriyaki Chicken.
Don't forget to see the section 'MEAL IDEAS' below the recipe card! It gives you a list of dishes that I have already posted and this recipe that can make up a complete meal. I hope it is of help to you.
Follow the Teriyaki Chicken instructions from step 1 to 4.
In step 4, after putting the chicken fillets in the frying pan, place the green onion pieces in the free spaces.
While cooking the chicken in step 4 and 5, grill the green onions, turning them around until they get charred patches and are slightly soft when pressed.
Transfer the green onions to a plate, then follow steps 7 and 8 for the chicken, but stop thickening the sauce when the quantity is about 3 tablespoons (note 3).
Level the surface of the rice in the bowls. Dribble some sauce over the rice.
Place the sliced chicken on the rice, not quite in the middle, to leave room for the vegetables.
Place green onions and snow peas next to the chicken, covering the rice.
Pour the Teriyaki Sauce over the chicken. Serve while hot.
1. Increase the quantity of Teriyaki Sauce by 50%. You don’t need vegetables under the heading ‘To Serve’.
2. To avoid extra washing, I microwaved the snow peas.
Remove the stems and the side string (it comes off when you break the stem) and pull it along the pod. Wrap the snow peas in cling wrap with a splash of water. Microwave for 30 seconds or so.
You can of course blanch them in a pot of boiling water.
3. The sauce for Teriyaki Chicken Don is slightly thinner than the sauce made in Teriyaki Chicken.
4. Nutrition per serving.
serving: 396g calories: 624kcal fat: 26g (40%) saturated fat: 7.1g (36%) trans fat: 0.1g polyunsaturated fat: 5.7g monounsaturated fat: 11g cholesterol: 166mg (55%) sodium: 1258mg (52%) potassium: 531mg (15%) carbohydrates: 57g (19%) dietary fibre: 1.4g (6%) sugar: 12g protein: 35g vitamin a: 7.7% vitamin c: 15% calcium: 3.9% iron: 20%