This is a quick fried rice made with store-bought fried rice seasoning. All you need is rice, egg, chopped vegetables and meat if you want. The flavour of the fried rice is similar to Chinese fried rice but a bit lighter and less oily.
If cooked rice is cold, microwave for 1 minute to warm up.
Turn the heat up to high and add two eggs into the wok/pan. Stir, breaking the egg yolks and mixing with whites. When mostly cooked (no need to break them up), transfer the egg to a plate.
Add the rice and stir for about 30 seconds, ensuring that each rice grain is separated and there are no lumps of rice.
1. My cooked rice was short grain rice because it was the left-over from a Japanese meal. You can also use long grain rice which is less sticky and easier to stir fry. Freshly cooked rice is also good to use.
2. I used green parts only to get better colour to the fried rice. You can use the white part, too if you like.
3. I had sliced ham in the fridge but it does not have to be sliced. You can use left-over Christmas ham if you like and cut into small pieces.
You could also use sliced or chopped meat. Pork or chicken would be good. Small prawns (shrimps) would also be good. When using uncooked meat, I cook them before sautéing vegetables.
4. I used a rice bowl to mould the fried rice onto a shallow serving bowl for better presentation. But you don’t need to do that. In fact, I just served the rice in a bowl when I was working full time. I had no time for extra steps and extra washing!
5. I chose these vegetables for the best colour combinations but you can use other vegetables. I sometimes use bean sprouts, shredded lettuce, green beans, shiitake mushrooms.
6. I use the brand called 'Amijirushi Chāhan no Moto'. You can buy it at Japanese grocery stores or online through Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Amijirushi-Chahan-Calendar-Fried-Seasoning/dp/B00IOBFKZ2).
Update: I was advised that Amazon site says Out of Stock but eBay sells it and delivers worldwide. Here is the link https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amijirushi-Fired-Rice-Seasoning-Powder-Japan-Easy-Cooking-For-6-Servings-/282449195213.