My Chinese Cabbage and Apple Salad is a refreshing salad. The slightly sour and sweet apple goes so well with the crunchy Chinese cabbage. The wasabi-flavoured, light dressing makes this salad so unique.
Don't forget to see the section 'MEAL IDEAS' below the recipe card! It gives you a list of dishes that I have already posted and this recipe that can make up a complete meal. I hope it is of help to you.
If the stalk (white part) of the cabbage leaves are very wide, halve them vertically. Shred the leaves crosswise and put them in a bowl.
While wilting the cabbage, add all the Wasabi SaladDressing ingredients to a jar (note 5), put the lid on and shake well until the sugar is dissolved and there are no wasabi lumps.
Quarter the apple vertically and remove the core. Then slice the apple thinly (about 3mm / ⅛" thick), perpendicular to the first cut so that every apple piece has a band of red skin.
Put the apple pieces with the cabbage and mix, ensuring that the apple pieces are scattered evenly.
Transfer the salad to a large bowl to share or individual bowls. Scatter green leaves (if using) to decorate.
1. I used about a quarter of the whole Chinese cabbage which was not very large.
2. I used a Kanzi apple today. Crisp apples with a balanced sweet and sour flavour such as Jazz and Jonathan are best suited to this sald.
The weight of my apple was about 160g / 5.6oz. After removing the core, it weighed 130g / 4.6oz.
3. I made wasabi paste from wasabi powder. It had a very strong kick when freshly made. If you are using wasabi paste in a tube, you may need to adjust the quantity as the heat varies.
4. I picked some baby beet greens from the bag of mixed green salad that I had. I could have used mizuna leaves or other small green leaves instead. Rocket greens/arugula are not suited for this salad as they have a strong flavour.
5. If you are unsure of how much kick you can tolerate, you may start with smaller quantity of the wasabi in the dressing. Taste test, then adjust to your liking.
6. Nutrition per serving, assuming dressing is all consumed.
serving: 267g calories: 204kcal fat: 14g (22%) saturated fat: 1.1g (6%) trans fat: 0.3g polyunsaturated fat: 9.2g monounsaturated fat: 3.3g cholesterol: 0mg (0%) sodium: 210mg (9%) potassium: 464mg (13%) carbohydrates: 18g (6%) dietary fibre: 3.5g (14%) sugar: 13g protein: 2.5g vitamin a: 135% vitamin c: 118% calcium: 13% iron: 7.3%