Grilled Whiting Fillets can be a starter, main dish or even served as nibbles with beer or wine. They are
tasty and low calorie.
I've included several grilling methods – broiler, grill pan, BBQ and frying pan.
Cook Time is based on using a grill.
If you are using the broiler in the oven, you will need a tray with a rack, or a tray covered with a piece of creased aluminium foil (note 3).
Cook for a couple of minutes (note 4) until the surface of the fillets become white and the tail starts browning.
Turn them over and cook further for a couple of minutes (note 4) or so until the skins start blistering with burnt patches.
Cook for 1 minute or so (note 5) until edges of the fillets are cooked and become white. Check to see if the flesh side of the fillets has few blisters with burnt patches.
Turn them over and cook further 1 minute or so (note 5) until steam starts coming up from the blistered patches and the skin has a few burnt patches.
Place a piece of creased aluminium foil (note 3) on the pan and heat over high heat.
Place the fillets on the foil, skin side up without overlapping.
Cook for 2-3 minutes (note 5) until you see little burnt patches on the flesh side of the fillets.
Gently turn them over and cook further for a couple of minutes (note 3) until the moisture starts bubbling inside the fillets and steam comes up.
1. A piece of Semi Dried Whiting Fillet weighed about 20g/0.7oz.
2. I peeled the end of the cucumber to show the flesh. From the peeled edge, diagonally cut the cucumber to make a wedge. Then thinly slice the wedge lengthwise. See the step-by-step photo below.
3. Scrunch a piece of aluminium foil, then spread it gently to make many small pointy creases. This will prevent the fish from sticking to the tray/pan. See the photo in the post.
4. Time to cook the fillets depends on how strong the heat is and how far from the heat the fillets are placed. For the first time, it is better to rely on the appearance of the fish to determine whether or not the fish is cooked.
5. Time to cook the fillets depends on the heat and the thickness of the pan. For the first time, it is better to rely on the appearance of the fish to determine whether or not the fish is cooked.
6. Nutrition per fillet. This is the same information as the nutrition of Semi Dried Whiting Fillets.
serving: 30g calories: 27kcal fat: 0.4g (1%) saturated fat: 0.1g (0%) trans fat: 0g polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g monounsaturated fat: 0.1g cholesterol: 20mg (7%) sodium: 80mg (3%) potassium: 75mg (2%) carbohydrates: 0g (0%) dietary fibre: 0g (0%) sugar: 0g protein: 5.5g vitamin a: 0.6% vitamin c: 0% calcium: 1.1% iron: 0.6%